Monday, September 5, 2011

Rain falls in real time....

Except when it simply threatens to fall and it doesn't. Today was such an odd day, but absolutely beautiful. The cloud cover and breeze were such a fun change of pace.
Things have been so hectic, recently. Between our last minute summer "daycations," Vegas, my sister coming to visit, and getting ready for school to start, I feel like we have been whirling dervishes. Of course, I wouldn't want it any other way, but it can get a bit chaotic. Heck, just getting the four kids out of the house might be considered a feat of strength. :)

So, without further delay, here is the next quilt I have to share. I titled this quilt "Bloom Where You are Planted." This quilt is the result of a block exchange with my Cabin Fever Friendship Group.

When we were on our last retreat to Idyllwild, Marian suggested that we each complete a raw-edge appliqué flower block to exchange with our members. The fun thing about raw-edge is that the edges will "rag" up when the quilt is washed. (Marian completed her blocks for everyone before we left that weekend!) Since I have never attempted raw-edge appliqué, my interest was piqued.

I decided to use poppies as my flowers in a little galvanized steel water can.


(Sorry that the picture is such crap.)
When I received the other blocks, I realized that I was going to have a pretty big void. I thought that I might do an embroidery block with a quote, but struggled to find a quote that was apropos.

Instead, I chose to create another block (oversized) to fill the space.



(I love the way that this picket fence turned out.)

I wanted to add sashing between all of the blocks and then bordered them with a green floral that I used on a previous quilt.


I finished using a meandering stipple pattern to quilt. J'adore.
My friendship group is so unbelievably talented. I am fortunate beyond measure to be amidst such fabulous women!
:)

No comments: